tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: How to get java process id of a user running tomcat
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:25:53 GMT
On 02/12/2009 06:30, raj kumar wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> When i ran tomcat and shut it down my java process is not closing along with
> shutdown.i need to kill it explicitly. So  I would like to know how to
> identify the java process of the logged in user who started the server. so
> that i can kill the process id from the shutdown.sh script itself. Please
> help me.

The jsvc binary supplied with Tomcat starts the server, records the
process id and uses it to stop the server.  In my experience it's never
failed to stop the server, so you may find that using it is an effective
solution.

However, in aggressively shutting down Tomcat, you may be hiding an
issue that is contained in the application.  I would recommend that you
investigate why Tomcat is not shutting down and see if you can address
the problem before taking more drastic action.

Try taking a thread dump after shutdown, to see which threads are still
active.