tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Basic and Form Authentication
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:57:08 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:
> 2009/12/1 Anthony Jay <anthonyjay@fastmail.fm>:
>> As for cross application communication I will have to revisit our own
>> code to see if there are static/singleton services that can be
>> re-engineered and decoupled.
>
> This may be one of the few appropriate times where you may want to put
> code for the singletons (and all the classes that might be referenced
> by your singletons) in common/lib.  It's not an ideal solution, but it
> may save you considerable effort as those classes will then be loaded
> by a single classloader, rather than the per-webapp classloaders.

Or then, this may be a case where you want to explore front-ending these
applications with an Apache httpd server, linked to Tomcat via an AJP
connector.
There is considerably more flexibility in Apache httpd regarding AAA
(since for one it is not bound by the servlet spec), and once a request
is authenticated, Apache and the connector will happily pass this
authenticated id to Tomcat.  And you would have to change nothing to
your servlet-engine side code, singletons and all.