tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey Janner" <Jeffrey.Jan...@PolyDyne.com>
Subject RE: Compression and SSL
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:12:07 GMT
From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]

>> Will setting the HTTPS connector "compression=on" actually compress the
>> data for HTTPS?

>Any reason to suspect it wouldn't?

Some result from a Google search I did trying to find a solution to this issue led me to infer
that it didn't.  I figured it was wrong but thought I'd ask the gurus.

>> Does it compress before or after applying the encryption?

>HTTPS is defined to be HTTP-over-SSL which means that the encryption is
>preformed on the whole connection. So, your HTML gets compressed, then
>encrypted.

That's what I figured it should do.

*******************************  NOTICE  *********************************
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply or by
telephone (call us collect at 512-343-9100) and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.