tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:34:17 GMT

On Nov 24, 2009, at 4:30 AM, Robert Koberg wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2009, at 4:12 AM, Pid wrote:

>>> It would be easier if you could keep your host configuration separate from the
server.xml, similar to contexts. For example, the file system would look like:

>>> -tomcat
>>>  |-conf
>>>    |-server.xml
>>>    |-Catalina
>>>      |-locahost.xml (the host config)
>>>      |-localhost
>>>        |-webapp1.xml
>>>        |-webapp2.xml
>>>
>>> Hmmm... wonder how ward it would be to implement this? Do you see any problems?
>>
>> You might be able to achieve it with XML includes.
>>
>> I recall previous discussion on the list describing this as possible - why not give
it a try & report back?

> Yes, I remember. I think I was going to look at it back then :)
>
> The problem with XML Include or (even worse) DTD defined entities is that if the included
file is changed (the host files are set to be watched, because it would not appear the server.xml
has changed) it would currently need to reconfigure the whole server (I think). It would be
better if tomcat could recognize just one host haas changed and reload it. Haven't had a major
itch here, so just throwing it out :)

Additionally, if you added a new host, you would need to edit the server.xml to add a reference
to it. It would be much nicer if it worked like context config files. The file system currently
being used for tomcat seems perfectly set up for such a thing.

best,
-Rob