tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Memory and Garbage Collection questions...
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 22:56:02 GMT
> From: Johnson, Trevin (Contractor)
> [mailto:Trevin.Johnson@occ.treas.gov]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat Memory and Garbage Collection questions...
>
> I see odd behavior. Our tomcat setting is set for a max memory setting
> of 256Mb in our Development Environment. Yet it goes over 256Mb. Up to
> 290Mb. I assumed that it would never go over 256Mb in task manager. Is
> that correct?

Your assumption is incorrect.  The Java heap limit is only part of the total process space,
which is what Task Manager is showing; also included in the process space is code, the C heap,
stacks, and lots of OS overhead.  Task Manager is a dismally poor means of discovering any
real information.

 - Chuck