tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: ConnectionPool question
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:06:04 GMT
> From: Josh Gooding [mailto:josh.gooding@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: ConnectionPool question
>
> everytime I recycle a connection (close RS, statement, and the
> connection) does it place it back into the pool or is that what the
> abandoned connection messages are for letting me know they were
> abandoned and put back into the pool?

There are actually two sets of connection objects here: the real connection to the DB server,
and an associated connection wrapper that's visible to the webapp(s).  If a webapp fails to
close a connection wrapper and its associated real connection stays idle beyond the configured
limit, the association between the wrapper and real connection is severed, the real connection
is returned to the pool, and the wrapper is discarded; it's at this time that the log entry
is made, containing the stack trace of the point where the wrapper was acquired by the webapp.

When the webapp closes the wrapper, both the real connection and the wrapper are made available
for reuse.

 - Chuck