tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Char Encoding text streams on Tomcat 5.5 and Linux
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 16:05:56 GMT
Continuing to top-post thus :

If you have some systems working and others not, check if all Tomcat's
(or rather, their JVMs) start under the same "locale" setting.
This is not a "good" reason, but it is often a reason for such things.

A bit more detail : in java, if you open a text input stream without
specifying in which encoding it is, it will default to the "platform"
encoding, which in this case is the locale setting of the process which
runs the Java JVM which runs tomcat.
That applies also to webapps which read posted input, unless you are
careful.
You will not see this issue with XML input, because XML contains either
an explicit charset declaration, or defaults to UTF-8. So the XML parse
always knows.  But pure text is another matter.
There is a lot more to say about these matters, but this will get you
started.