tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Which version of Tomcat to use on Centos?
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:34:46 GMT
fred basset wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've got a new server running the latest Centos.  I want to install
> Apace tomcat on there.
> Should I use tomcat5 installed via yum, or instead use the "original"
> version from http://tomcat.apache.org?
> Also, my server currently has OpenJDK1.6.  For max. reliability and
> least hassles is this the best JVM to use with Tomcat or should I use
> the original version from Sun?

Considering that this is the support list for "the official Tomcat", let
me give you a nevertheless measured and reasoned answer : it depends.

- If you want further support for your problems from this list, then I
strongly suggest that you de-install OpenJDK 1.6, and install the Sun
JDK 1.6 instead.  Then, it will also simplify your future interactions
with this list, if you install the latest official Tomcat 6 version
available from the official Tomcat site, rather than the CentOS package.

- If on the other hand, you prefer to get all your future support not
from this list, but from the CentOS lists, then go ahead and install the
CentOS stuff.

Just don't mix and match.

People on this list generally do not use OpenJDK 1.6, and do not know
how the packagers of the CentOS Tomcat package arrange the files over
the file system, nor what they put in their Tomcat configuration files.
So it is really difficult to help someone in case of trouble with these
other packages.
That does not mean that the CentOS packages are bad, it just means that
on this list you will not get much help with them.