tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Putting Docbase on network drive. Is it Possible ?
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:31:35 GMT
R. S. Patil wrote:

> well the window from which catalina start command has been fired comes
> to command
> prompt after showing four lines but it opens another window which shows
> startup log remains open and if I close that Tomcat terminates.

In the same window where you entered "startup.bat" to start Tomcat,
enter "shutdown.bat" to terminate the Tomcat running in the other window.

Alternatively, entering CTRL-C in the command window where Tomcat itself
  is running, also shuts down that Tomcat cleanly.
Simply closing the window where Tomcat is running, may not do a clean
shutdown.

Yet another way to shut down Tomcat :
- have a look at the file (tomcat_install_dir)/conf/server.xml
- there is a tag in it like this :
<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

It means that if you open a TCP connection to localhost, port 8005, and
send the string "SHUTDOWN" on that connection, Tomcat will shut down.
You can change the port and the string to what you prefer, like
<Server port="8999" shutdown="stopnow">

As a security, Tomcat will only accept a connection on that shutdown
port, if it originates from localhost (the same machine).