tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: Howto Socket (TCP / IP ) reading from a war application on Tomcat
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:22:57 GMT
Ronald Klop wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:20:04 +0100, Karthik Nanjangude
> <> wrote:
>> Hi
>> A 3rd party Client S/w of C++ sends an XML string over socket
>> This socket is be defined and read by *Process* of web application
>> JDK 1.6.0
>> O/s  Linux / Unix / Windows
>> Soap over HTTP (Approached was not recommended by the existing client s/w
>> With a Load on Startup servlet tried to listen to the socket,which
>> does not work
> What went wrong? There is no reason why such a thing should not work.
> Just instantiate a static class/Thread which listens on a port. I don't
> understand your problem. It is the same as a standalone program except
> you are starting your class differently.
Just jumping in here for a minute..
Isn't there some fundamental logical problem here ?
Unless I am mistaken, we are talking about a webapp running under
Tomcat.  This webapp is being run when there is a request (in principle,
a HTTP request) received by Tomcat, whose URL matches one that the
webapp is mapped to.
Now if that webapp gets started, somehow, and even if it starts
listening on a socket (separate from the Tomcat Connector listening
sockets), isn't that socket not going to be listening anymore when that
webapp, somehow, stops running ?
I fail to see the inherent logic in running something like this under
Tomcat.  I mean, even if somehow it works, what is the benefit of
running this under a servlet engine ?
Should this not be instead a stand-alone application ?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message