tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: 32-bit service on 64-bit windows?
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:50:32 GMT
David kerber wrote:
> André Warnier wrote:

>>> Yes.  The mode of the service wrapper must match the mode of the JVM
>>> to be used, not the mode of the OS.  Note that the 5.5.28 .exe
>>> installer incorrectly checks the mode of the OS rather than the JVM,
>>> so it will install the wrong service wrapper for your situation.  The
>>> easiest way around this is to use the .zip download, which includes
>>> the 32-bit service wrapper.
>>>
>> Well, you don't say.
>> No sooner do I post a piece of wisdom to this list, that I am
>> instantly being contradicted by one of the sommities on it.
>> So, is it true, can one run 32-bit programs on 64-bit Windows ?
>> I was under the impression that this did not work, having had a number
>> of error messages that last time I had a chance to try.
>
> It depends on the .exe, but in my experience, most "user" applications
> will work.  Ones that try to run as a service may be an exception; this
> is the first time I've tried to install a service on x64.

It looks loike in addition I have an attention problem, because I missed
Chuck's first phrase above.

Apart from that, I know that I have a Tomcat 5.5 running as a Windows
service somewhere under a 64-bit Windows XP.
But I thought I remembered needing for that a 64-bit JVM, and I also
needed a 64-bit tomcatX.exe, but which bitness I associated with the
platform, not with the JVM.
But now I am a bit confused again, because it seems that the bitness of
the tomcatX.exe has not to do with the platform, but everything to do
with the chosen JVM, which could be a 32-bit version even on a 64-bit
platform.
So is this tomcatX.exe then always a 32-bit application ?