tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: 32-bit service on 64-bit windows?
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:36:32 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: David kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
>> Subject: 32-bit service on 64-bit windows?
>>
>> Can I install a 32-bit jvm and create a tc 5.5.28 service on win 2008
>> 64-bit server?
>
> Yes.  The mode of the service wrapper must match the mode of the JVM to be used, not
the mode of the OS.  Note that the 5.5.28 .exe installer incorrectly checks the mode of the
OS rather than the JVM, so it will install the wrong service wrapper for your situation.
The easiest way around this is to use the .zip download, which includes the 32-bit service
wrapper.

Well, you don't say.
No sooner do I post a piece of wisdom to this list, that I am instantly
being contradicted by one of the sommities on it.
So, is it true, can one run 32-bit programs on 64-bit Windows ?
I was under the impression that this did not work, having had a number
of error messages that last time I had a chance to try.