tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Simão Fontes <simao.fon...@fccn.pt>
Subject tomcat 5.5.25 - Multiple Connectors and performance lost
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:38:00 GMT
Hello,

I need help configuring a tomcat server, 5.5.25, running on Redhat EL 5.2.

I have 4 web applications that communicate with each other. My problem
consists in getting the information form the various applications when
the number of threads is reached only by one application.
When I contact a application named wayback this searches in an index
that is served by another application named nutchwax. When I put a
client making 100 requests to wayback and the maxThreads is configured
to 100 then the wayback application enters in deadlock. Because tomcat
cannot create another thread for nutchwax application.
The applications interact in this way:

	*Nutchwax -> Index -> User
	*Wayback -> *Nutchwax -> Index -> User
	*Wayback -> *Nutchwax -> Index -> *ArcProxy -> *Browser -> User
	* means that this is a application of tomcat

I found a way to resolve the deadlock by separating the applications in
different connectors, I made 4 connector, one each for application I
want to use.
This originated a throupt that was of about 1.30sec to 16.30sec.

The new server.xml file is configured with 4 service/engine/host

   1. <Service name="reciver">
   2.                 <Connector port="8080" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxThreads="10"

   3.                            enableLookups="false" acceptCount="100"
   4.                            connectionTimeout="10000" disableUploadTimeout="true"
   5.                            useBodyEncodingForURI="true"/>
   6.                 <Engine name="reciver" defaultHost="localhost" jvmRoute="host1">

   7.                         <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"

   8.                                resourceName="UserDatabase" />
   9.                         <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"

  10.                               autoDeploy="false" xmlValidation="false"
  11.                               xmlNamespaceAware="false">
  12.                                 <Context docBase="browser" path="/browser" reloadable="false"/>

  13.                         </Host>
  14.                 </Engine>
  15.         </Service>
  16.         <Service name="reciver2">
  17.                 <Connector port="8081" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxThreads="10"

  18.                            enableLookups="false" acceptCount="1"
  19.                            connectionTimeout="10000" disableUploadTimeout="true"
  20.                            useBodyEncodingForURI="true" proxyName="example.pt" proxyPort="80"/>

  21.                 <Engine name="reciver2" defaultHost="example_app" jvmRoute="host2">

  22.                         <Host name="example_app" appBase="test_app/example_app" unpackWARs="true"

  23.                               autoDeploy="false" xmlValidation="false"
  24.                               xmlNamespaceAware="false">
  25.                                 <Context docBase="example_app" path="/example_app"
reloadable="false"/>
  26.                         </Host>
  27.                 </Engine>
  28. </Service>
  29. (...Repeted 2 more times.)

Thanks in advance for your help,
Simão

Arquivo da Web Portuguesa | FCCN
Av. do Brasil, n.º 101
1700-066 Lisboa
Tel.: +351 21 8440100 (facultativo) Fax: +351 21 8472167
www.arquivo.pt | www.fccn.pt

Aviso de Confidencialidade

Esta mensagem é exclusivamente destinada ao seu destinatário, podendo conter informação
CONFIDENCIAL, cuja divulgação está expressamente vedada nos termos da lei. Caso tenha recepcionado
indevidamente esta mensagem, solicitamos-lhe que nos comunique esse mesmo facto por esta via
ou para o telefone +351 218440100 devendo apagar o seu conteúdo de imediato. This message
is intended exclusively for its addressee. It may contain CONFIDENTIAL information protected
by law. If this message has been received by error, please notify us via e-mail or by telephone
+351 218440100 and delete it immediately.