tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Compression and SSL
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:36:44 GMT
On 03/11/2009 14:33, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
> Well, we already have filters in place to make sure our images, javascript, and other
statics go out as cacheable.  In fact, the only thing that should not be cached at this point
are the results of the jsp pages themselves.
> Did see something recently about combining images into a single file, and then having
something on the client end pick out what it needed per page.  Didn't read it all, since it
sounds like it requires a bit of coding to support it.  Might be something to tell the dev
team about.  I'm just looking at it from changes that an admin can implement.

This sounds like the "Sprite" CSS technique.
Doesn't require active code on the client, just a bit of cunning CSSery.