tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Reading and writing files outside tomcat directory
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 12:46:39 GMT
noobie45 wrote:
> I have an application whose class files are in
> /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes
>
> It uses the following line to write a file called java.php:
> FileOutputStream fout  = new FileOutputStream
> ("/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/java.php", true);
>
> It does this perfectly.
>
> What I want is to write this file to a directory outside the tomcat
> directory. e.g. to /var/www/newdir
>
> In Tomcat under Windows I have no problem doing this. Tomcat is installed in
> F: and I can write to my apache directory c:\Apache2\htdocs by putting this
> file path in the above code line.
>
> But Tomcat under Linux does not allow me to do this, apparently for security
> reasons. But security does not really matter for me because this application
> won't be open. How do I read and write files outside the home directory?

Maybe just verify that the user-id under which Tomcat runs has the
permission to write to the directory where you tell it to write ?

Under Windows, you do not see that problem because you are probably
running the Tomcat service under the user-id "LocalSystem", which has
extensive access rights to all local resources.
But under Unix/Linux, Tomcat will be running as some user (tomcat5 ?),
which does not by default have writing rights to /var/www, or wherever
your webserver directory is.
It is not a Tomcat-level permission issue, it is a OS-level permission
issue.