tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Compression and SSL
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:51:19 GMT
On 02/11/2009 23:34, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
> Pid -
> Windows 64-bit Dual Quad-Core w/32G RAM.  Do I really need bigger?
> App's not really slow-- works great here.  But with a 300ms latency
> (one-way) to The Orient, you can see why I might want to send as few
> bits as possible.
> Jeff

Indeed. Was just asking.

What portion of the resources sent are static, and have you considered
hosting those physically closer to your clients?

If you've got a typical web page type setup, then most of the response
time is made up of the (bi)sequential download of the extra resources
served after the browser has processed the HTML.

A quick look at the network profiler in Firebug ought to make it clear
what's happening.

If you can expect an average of 250ms for *every* resource, then even
the cost of a little big of logic, to set a different server URL for
those static resources, will probably pay off big time.

Even a cheap low power server might offer a better service if the
resources are small enough, and it's in the locality.