tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat and PermGen
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:04:20 GMT
Gerwood Stewart wrote:
> This is not quite a question about out of memory errors. It's a question about the behaviour
of contexts when deployed and un-deployed and what should happen to the non-heap (or in fact
any) memory when we undeploy a context.

> From my understanding (and it's not a good one) I would expect to see a drop in PermGen
memory area when we undeploy a context. Currently I'm seeing a very small increase and then
a much larger (9-15mb) increase when we redeploy which is suggesting that significant parts
of the context are being retained through some gc connection.

> Any suggestions for tracking this down?

Your understanding is correct.

For some hints:

http://markmail.org/thread/ylau4txi2onthgsh