tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Gerwood Stewart <>
Subject RE: Tomcat and PermGen
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 05:02:58 GMT

Thanks for the reply.

I've gone through a few things and shifted all our direct use of log4j to commons-logging
(this may not be a good thing, but consistency was the point) and then put commons-logging
and log4j into tomcats common/lib directory... (recommendation from a colleague)

Re-running this with a profiler has shown that things appear to be cleaning up better and
the heap space has a much more significant garbage collection afterwards. Problem is that
permgen space still appears to ONLY build up...

Do you know of any ways to track down what might be 'stuck' here or a starting point I could

If you have any info on the logging issue it would be helpful but from my Google searches
everyone seems to have a differing (if only slightly) view on this.

From: Mark Thomas []
Sent: Tuesday, 3 November 2009 11:04 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat and PermGen

Gerwood Stewart wrote:
> This is not quite a question about out of memory errors. It's a question about the behaviour
of contexts when deployed and un-deployed and what should happen to the non-heap (or in fact
any) memory when we undeploy a context.
> From my understanding (and it's not a good one) I would expect to see a drop in PermGen
memory area when we undeploy a context. Currently I'm seeing a very small increase and then
a much larger (9-15mb) increase when we redeploy which is suggesting that significant parts
of the context are being retained through some gc connection.
> Any suggestions for tracking this down?

Your understanding is correct.

For some hints:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: