tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tobias Crefeld ...@cataneo.eu>
Subject Re: SEVERE: All threads (700) are currently busy, waiting. Increase maxThreads (700) or check the servlet status
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 13:56:33 GMT
Am Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:24:14 +0100
schrieb "Joan Monplet Ortega" <joan@solostocks-int.com>:

> Yeah, It's the one Tomcat. We have 4GB RAM on production Server and
> We run it with 1GB.

Not too much RAM... how many clients are using this system
simultaneously? Our smallest machines (< 10 seats) have this amount of
RAM configured.

Just as an idea: Do you run a network monitoring with a smaller testing
period?

> When we restart Tomcat Web Server, the number of Threads (Stage
> KeepAlive) grows, and We don't understand why occur that. It seems
> that Tomcat no unblock Threads whose stages are unblocked. So, In 2
> or 3 hours the current Threads busy increase until the Max threads.

Sounds like a bug of the web application.

> What's the best way connecting Apache & Tomcat? mod_jk or
> mod_proxy_ajp?

mod_jk is more complex to configure but has more options.
There is a bug in mod_proxy_ajp if you have large http-1.0-POSTs but
usually it is a good choice.

> How to we find the problematic servlet that does the many connections
> are blocked? Because in LambdaProbe We can't find the exactly servlet
> url.

In applications/(select app)/sessions you get an overview which
web-application (=context) is using the connections.

In detail (without statistics) Tomcat's catalina.out and especially
Apache2's access_log show you which URIs are initiating / keeping alive
the connections.
Afterwards you can search in Lambda Probe under applications/(select
app)/Servlets which Servlet would handle this URIs. There you will also
find some general statistics how much resources each Servlet comsumes
and how often it has been called.

RU,
 Tobias.