tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Eric B." <>
Subject Valves being converted to Filters?
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:38:59 GMT

I was looking at Bug 47330
( which is a filter
/ valve implementation of a Httpd's mod_remoteip module.  What concerned me
is a comment by the submitter at the very bottom of the report:

"... As Tomcat valves are currently being converted into Servlet Filter (1),
here is
a Servlet Filter implementation... "

Is this true?  Is Tomcat moving away from valves and towards filters in the
next version(s)?  Is there a specific reason for this?

Although I love filters, I find that valves have a very specific need within
the container as well; it allows you to configure the container
independently of the application.  If everything is moving to filters, that
would require me to modify the app everytime I want the container to behave
slightly differently.

Am I misunderstanding the comment, or is the submitter mis-informed?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message