tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Simon MaticLangford" <Simon.MaticLangf...@betfair.com>
Subject HTTP 400 not appearing in access log
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:40:55 GMT
Hi there,

I had a recent problem caused by a client sending a request to the wrong url that took days
to find because the requests never appeared in the access logs. I have now cleared away all
the clutter of my application and managed to reproduce against a virgin Tomcat 6.0.20 using
the following steps:

1.       Download and unpack Tomcat 6.0.20

2.       Remove the ROOT folder from webapps (delete or move to another dir)

3.       Modify server.xml to add in the default access log valve

4.       Start tomcat

5.       Try to access page "/fred", using a browser (I used curl: "http://localhost:8080/fred")

The result is an HTTP 400 Bad Request.

2 questions come from this:

-          From a user perspective, I would expect to get a 404 Not Found. Is there a reason
we get the bad request instead?

-          Why does the 400 not go to the access log?

Thanks

Simon

PS: Apologies for the footer.

Simon Matić Langford

Java Development Lead / Embedded Architect

Distributed Systems Engineering

Betfair. Betting as it should be.

P Please consider the environment before printing

Betfair Limited | Winslow Road | Hammersmith Embankment | London | W6 9HP

Registered in England and Wales under company number 5140986

The information in this e-mail and any attachment is confidential and is intended only for
the named recipient(s). The e-mail may not be disclosed or used by any person other than the
addressee, nor may it be copied in any way. If you are not a named recipient please notify
the sender immediately and delete any copies of this message. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure
or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden. Any view or opinions
presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
Betfair (r) and the BETFAIR LOGO are registered trade marks of The Sporting Exchange Limited.