tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 6 Context, docBase and path
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:27:57 GMT
> From: Nils Weinander [mailto:nils.weinander@mogul.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 6 Context, docBase and path
>
> Sorry if this is a common question, I didn't find anything
> like it by Google.

Reading the actual Tomcat doc and FAQ is probably more productive.

> In a Tomcat 6, I have a Context declaration in server.xml

That's a bad idea right off; there shouldn't be any <Context> elements in server.xml.

> with a path and a docBase to a war file with a different
> name than the path:

If you insist on having the webapp name be different than its URI path, you must keep the
webapp outside of the <Host> appBase directory, and place the <Context> element
in conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml.  The <Context> element must include the docBase
attribute pointing to the absolute location of the webapp, and the path attribute must *not*
be used.

 - Chuck