tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Can a JNDI resource be in a webapp's lib folder
Date Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:20:50 GMT
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Can a JNDI resource be in a webapp's lib folder
>
> Hmm... I didn't realize that. I didn't know that the servlet spec
> mandated JNDI behavior "above" the webapp level.

I don't think it's the servlet spec itself that does that; rather, it's the interaction of
that with the JNDI spec.  You start off with a new InitialContext(), and go from there - so
by default, everything is global.  There doesn't appear to be anything preventing use of local
contexts (created via the InitialContext(Hashtable environment) constructor), but the servlet
spec doesn't mention it.  The servlet spec does contain this somewhat contradictory statement:

"The name is a JNDI name relative to the java:comp/env context and must be unique within a
web application."

Unfortunately, java:comp/env is global, so the JNDI name must also be unique /across/ web
applications.  I suppose it would be possible to create a separate java:comp/env context for
each webapp, but Tomcat doesn't do that (I don't know if anyone does).

> Is this made more explicit anywhere else?

Not that I've found.

 - Chuck