tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Getting out of memory using tomcat 6.0.20 but works fine in tomcat 5.5.28
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:42:24 GMT
> From: Curtis Garman [mailto:curt.garman@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Getting out of memory using tomcat 6.0.20 but works fine
> in tomcat 5.5.28
>
> I believe the default amount of PermGenSpace in tomcat was reduced
> between 5 and 6...

You believe incorrectly.  Tomcat itself cannot affect the JVM heap settings, since they're
already established by the time any Tomcat logic gets control.  It is possible for the startup
scripts to set heap size values, but the ones distributed with Tomcat do not.  It is theoretically
possible that Tomcat 6.0 requires a larger PermGen than 5.5 did, but I have seen no evidence
to support that (there is some evidence that the opposite is true).

Without more information about what portion of the heap is exhausted, this is all speculation.
 Since an OOME is also thrown for a variety of non-heap issues, this may not even be heap
related.

 - Chuck