tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Logging startup parms for Tomcat...
Date Sat, 10 Oct 2009 23:53:52 GMT
> From: Tony Anecito [mailto:adanecito@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Logging startup parms for Tomcat...
>
> I need to see the jvm startup params (memory settings, ect) for Tomcat.
> How do I enable that to showup in the logs?

Good question, and I don't have a complete answer.

You can set -XX:+PrintCommandLineFlags, which will show most of the parameters plus some derived
ones - but on stdout, not to a specific log file.

If you're starting Tomcat using the standard launcher, you can set the environment variable
_JAVA_LAUNCHER_DEBUG (the value doesn't matter), and the launcher will display various things
on stdout, including all of the command-line parameters.  You can also use JConsole to show
the options used on any running Java program, regardless of how the program is launched.
LambdaProbe, on one of its pages, shows all the system properties, which will get much of
what you want.  You could do something similar in a startup listener.

Don't know of any way to get them into the log directly without writing some code, but perhaps
someone else does.

 - Chuck