tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat hangs for minutes between ContextConfig and StandardContext (Starting the app)
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:46:28 GMT
> From: Law, Christopher [mailto:Chris.Law@snapon.com]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat hangs for minutes between ContextConfig and
> StandardContext (Starting the app)
>
> I'm afraid I don't know what a blocking entropy is.

/dev/random is the system-provided random byte stream for UNIX/Linux and some other platforms.
 In order to generate a reasonably random sequence, it needs sources of randomness, such as
keyboard interrupts, mouse movements, radioactive decay; than randomness is termed entropy,
and until there's enough of it, the stream will block when requests are made to it.

> "main" prio=6 tid=0x002a7000 nid=0xd5c runnable
> [0x0090f000..0x0090fe54]
>    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
> 	at java.io.FileOutputStream.close0(Native Method)
> 	at java.io.FileOutputStream.close(FileOutputStream.java:279)
> 	at java.io.FilterOutputStream.close(FilterOutputStream.java:143)

The above is the interesting one: it's stuck in close(), waiting for something in the underlying
file system.  Since you're on Windows, you may need to set the antiJARLocking and antiResourceLocking
attributes in the <Context> element for your webapp.

 - Chuck