tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Alias URL
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 17:54:41 GMT
> From: Johnson, Rob E [mailto:Rob.Johnson@mms.gov]
> Subject: RE: Alias URL
>
> Currently tomcat is set to listen on port 8080.  I can easily open port
> 80 so that is not an issue.

Sounds like an appropriate thing to do, so you don't have to play with URL rewriting anywhere.

> We do have other webapps deployed, and yes I do want webtop to be the
> default webapp for Tomcat.

Then the easiest way to handle this is change the name of the webtop webapp to ROOT (case
sensitive), and make sure that the DNS entry for webtop points to the IP address of the box
Tomcat is running on.  No changes to the Tomcat configuration are necessary, other than switching
to port 80 if that's desirable.

If you want to utilize the DNS name to webapp mapping trick for additional webapps, you will
need multiple <Host> elements in server.xml - at which point the name attribute for
each <Host> becomes important.  Look here for details:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/virtual-hosting-howto.html

 - Chuck