tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Loading Jar files in a particular order on Tomcat 6
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 00:32:39 GMT
> From: Konstantin Kolinko [mailto:knst.kolinko@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Loading Jar files in a particular order on Tomcat 6
>
> I am rather sure that it is an official rule (I must be somewhere
> documented [1]), that jars in a classpath are searched in the order
> they are specified there.

Correct; this is what I was referring to as "normal behavior".  What is not in spec is the
order in which jars are placed in the classpath when the classpath is constructed internally
by the classloader itself.

> Certain file systems (e.g. NTFS as far as I know) return file lists in
> alphabetical order, but that is all that stands behind that advice of
> naming the jar.

NTFS is the only one I'm aware of that does it, and its ordering is not case-sensitive, if
that's a concern.  In most environments, the sorting is done by whatever shell program is
displaying the contents of the directory.

> Thus the solution in this case is to unpack those jars that
> must come first.

Painful, but workable.

> If those are shared libraries, e.g. in ${catalina.base}/lib, you can
> specify an order in catalina.properties

Much more controllable.

 - Chuck