tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Loading Jar files in a particular order on Tomcat 6
Date Sat, 03 Oct 2009 23:27:43 GMT
> From: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Eric B.
> Subject: Re: Loading Jar files in a particular order on Tomcat 6
>
> I've always noticed that the classloader loads things in alphabetical
> order.

??? Which classloader are you referring to?  And by "things", do you mean classes or jars?
 If you're referring to jars, the order of jar processing is determined solely by the specific
classloader instance; it can choose to process the jars in the order they're encountered,
alphabetically, by date/time, or any other means.  Relying on any particular observed behavior
is extremely risky, unless it's defined in the spec.

> Additionally, if it finds the same class in 2 different jars, it only
> seems to use the class from the first jar.

That is normal behavior for all classloaders.

 - Chuck