tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Connection between ListenerStart and clustering
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 23:25:04 GMT
> From: Bocalinda [mailto:bocalinda@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Connection between ListenerStart and clustering
>
> What causes timing issues?

Different messages arriving in a different order, for one.  Classes are only loaded on demand,
not simply because they exist in a defined library.

> I would suppose the classloading ritual is a serial process,
> instead of a parallel process.

Nope.  In a multi-threaded environment, you cannot predict who's going to reference what class
first, unless you have extremely tight control over event ordering.  There is a very, very
small period when there's a global lock set during classloading, but other than that, it's
pretty much a free-for-all.

> Can a clustering problem be at the root of this problem, and
> thus cause some kind of timing issue and load the classes in
> a different order?

Adding more variable message sources and sinks will always create more timing windows.  But
since this is not an issue observed elsewhere, the problem is most likely with your setup.

> What I'm saying is that I don't think that any class in
> common/lib references to spring.

You keep referring to common/lib but stated earlier that you're running on 6.0.20, and common/lib
does not exist on that level; have you modified conf/catalina.properties to utilize that directory?
 If so, why, and what happens if you keep things as they were intended?

 - Chuck