tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Connection between ListenerStart and clustering
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 22:59:32 GMT
> From: Bocalinda [mailto:bocalinda@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Connection between ListenerStart and clustering
>
> If I'm not wrong Tomcat loads it classes in the following order:
> 1. bootstrap
> 2. classpath classes
> 3. webapps classes/libs
> 4. common libs
> 5. shared libs

As I recall, the webapp classloader takes precedence over the system classloader (the -cp
path handler), but I'd have to check the code to be sure.  Also, on Tomcat 6, there is no
shared lib directory, unless you have modified conf/catalina.properties.

> In which case I don't understand why my webapp complains
> that it can't find the class...

Timing issues can cause things to be loaded in a different order; if the class from Tomcat's
lib or the system classpath gets loaded first, you will not be able to cast references to
its objects to the class in WEB-INF/lib directory.  This often results in the somewhat misleading
NCDFE.

> Although, I don't think this is the case in my situation.
> Spring is only used inside my webapp.

So the Spring jars exist *only* in WEB-INF/lib?

- Chuck