tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Darren Kukulka" <Darren.Kuku...@connaught.plc.uk>
Subject RE: FW: Apache Close-Wait issue
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:33:16 GMT
Fair point Andre...will submit this to httpd forum...thanks for the reply

-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
Sent: 29 October 2009 07:59
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: FW: Apache Close-Wait issue

Darren Kukulka wrote:
> No one willing to touch this one?  I thought I'd get at least a passing
> comment...:-(

Passing comment : maybe the fact that this is the Tomcat help forum, and
that your problem seems to be more linked to the Apache httpd webserver
and "network appliance" side of things, is a reason ?
;-)

As another passing comment : a connection in the CLOSE_WAIT state means
that one side has closed the connection, but the other side has not.  If
it remains so for a long time, it probably indicates some issue in the
code.  If this was Tomcat, I would suspect an object instance containing
a socket, with the object having been discarded without closing the
socket first, and the discarded object sitting on the heap waiting to be
garbage-collected.  In my experience, these things just pile up, and
when there are enough of them (a couple of hundred ?), you may reach a
stage where the system's network stack becomes unresponsive, totally.

Connaught plc is a FTSE 250 company. We are the UK's leading provider of integrated services
operating in the compliance, social housing and public sector markets.

Please visit our website to see a full list of Connaught's Registered Companies www.connaught.plc.uk/group/aboutconnaught/registeredcompanies

Disclaimer:
and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination
contact the sender and delete this message. Connaught plc, Head Office 01392 444546