tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hassan Schroeder <>
Subject Re: catalina - when to use "start" and "run"
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:28:43 GMT
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Anand HS <> wrote:
> Hi, I use tomcat 6.0.16 and when evaluating different start up options , I
> came across the fact that you can start tomcat by either catalina start or
> catalina run.
> using "start" spawned the server start up in a new console where as "run"
> started in the same console.
> Other than this is there any obvious difference in using one or the other. ?
> Primarily, I want to know when to go for which one.

You can look for yourself, you know -- it's just a shell script. :-)

But basically I use `run` while developing where I know I have to do
a lot of restarting -- ^C followed by the up arrow and away we go. If
that's not necessary then use `start` and forget about it, even if you
close that window.

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------
twitter: @hassan

To unsubscribe, e-mail: