tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Kennedy <>
Subject Re: What is the difference between running Tomcat 6 as a Windows Service vs. running from the command line?
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:38:33 GMT
>>> I need to find out what is the difference between running Tomcat 6 as
>>> a Windows Service and running it from the command line.
>>> The reason is that I'm getting a bizarre bug when a jython based
>>> servlet is run under Tomcat6-as-Service. But the bug does NOT appear
>>> when Tomcat 6 is run from the command line using bin\startup.bat.

> Was there a solution found for this behavior?
> It is happening to me as well when I try to install Liferay portal as a
> service (Server 2008, 64-bit JVM, Tomcat 6.0.20 zip file installed with
> 64-bit tomcat6 and tomcat6w.exe files substituted).
> I also get a stack overflow error when running as a service, but normal
> behavior when using startup.bat .  After getting startup.bat to run, I
> installed the service using "service install".
> If I run tomcat6 from the command line still as Administrator, it also
> fails.

Hi Earl,

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same bug, although it's easily
possible that it's the same bug, with differing consequences.

I've made a little more progress on what is happening in jython when
this problem occurs, namely a infinite recursion on method reflection.
I'm guessing that this may be caused by a combination of classloading
and security policies, not sure yet. More details from here

Note from that bug that we've had a report from a user who saw
identical behaviour when running a minimal jython servlet in BEA
WebLogic on Ubuntu, whereas the Tomcat on Ubuntu runs the code just
fine. So this is not a problem specific to Tomcat or to Tomcat on

I'll be continuing my investigations and reports on the jython bug
report. Please feel free to follow that discussion and/or contribute
to it.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message