tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: So many timeout values
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:30:43 GMT
Warren Pace wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Caldarale, Charles R
> <> wrote:
>>> From: André Warnier []
>>> Subject: Re: [OT] Re: So many timeout values
>>> As long as we're on the [OT] subject, how about learning about the
>>> judicious and parcimonious usage of sorted data structures, on a
>>> computer with 16 Kb of RAM and punched paper cards as its only external
>>> memory store (IBM System 4, RPG) ?
>>>   2 GB heaps, ha !
>>> Anyone else upping the ante ?
>> Univac 1004: 961 *6-bit* bytes of core memory, programmed via squids on a plugboard.
 Handled punch cards, paper tape, and printing; tape drive optional (we didn't have one).
 Had a tendency to throw cards all over the room if not handled properly.
>>  - Chuck
>> I'd say you win, Chuck.
Yep, I give up.
I was kind of baiting Chuck, I suspected he would win in the end.
But I was hoping for someone to come up in-between up with a Cromemco or
NortStar CPU board, for S-100 bus, with a telex paper tape reader as
boot device..
The thing above kind of trumps that however.
The only 6-bit bytes machine I remember was a Control Data 6600.  It had
10 of them in a word though, so pretty big integers.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message