tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HTTP 400 not appearing in access log
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:07:35 GMT
Simon MaticLangford wrote:
> 2 questions come from this:
>
> -          From a user perspective, I would expect to get a 404 Not Found. Is there a
reason we get the bad request instead?

Yes. You removed the ROOT web application. You need a ROOT webapp to
handle requests that don't map to any other app.

Could Tomcat detect this and return a 404 in this case? Maybe, but I
haven't looked at the code and to be perfectly honest it is far simpler
to just create an empty ROOT directory in the webapps dir. The intention
is that there is always a ROOT web app so if you remove it, expect odd
things to happen.

> -          Why does the 400 not go to the access log?

Because without an application to map it to, the request gets rejected
before it reaches the valve pipeline where the access log sits.

Mark