tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: SessionID cookie not secure over SSL
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:10:49 GMT
Joe Wallace wrote:

> [...]
specifically set the cookie to be sent only over SSL or https.  This was not the >default
setting.  I want users to connect to my web site using https then they might click a link
on one of my web pages whose protocal is not secure.  What is the >behavior of the JSESSIONID
cookie in this situation.

>> Joe,
>
>> 1) assuming your setup is
>
>> browsers <--> IIS  <--> Tomcat
>             A         B
>
>> which portion(s) is(/are) using HTTPS ? A ? B ? both ?
>
>> 2) "secure" is an attribute of a cookie, written inside of the cookie by
>> the server creating the cookie in the first place.
>> If set, it has as consequence that a browser will only send it back to
>> the original server with subsequent requests, if these subsequent
>> requests happen over a HTTPS connection.
>
>> In other words, if you set the secure attribute on the JSESSIONID
>> cookie, because for instance your initial request happens over HTTPS,
>> then you switch to a non-HTTPS part of the site, the browser is probably
>> no longer going to send this cookie back to the server.
>> In other words, you will, for practical purposes, "lose your session".
>
>> Not so, gurus ?
>
> Portion A is using IIS.  IIS holds the SSL cert.
> I am using AJP 1.3 connector for IIS
> It is defined in the Tomcat Server.xml
>
> <!-- Define an AJP 1.3 Connector on port xxxx -->
>     <Connector port="8109" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="443"
> />

Am I mistaken then to think that since the connection B from IIS to
Tomcat is not over HTTPS but over AJP, Tomcat has no idea that HTTPS is
being used ?
Whatever consequences this has in the context (and which are beyond my
expertise).