tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Expecting "jsp:param" - Porting resin jsp pages to tomcat, dreamweaver editable sections / comments
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:31:28 GMT

On 10/26/2009 9:44 PM, Bill Barker wrote:
> "Christopher Schultz" <> wrote in message
>> On the other hand, shouldn't the JSP compiler pass-through everything
>> except for directives? HTML is a common enough use case for JSP that
>> SGML comments ought to be tolerated in these cases.
> Except for the fact that section 5.4 of the (2.1) JSP spec precludes having
> anything except <jsp:param /> in the body of a <jsp:include> element.
> Allowing template text in there is then a Container-specific feature and so
> renders the webapp non-portable.

I read 5.4 and while the text doesn't say anything about this, the
formal syntax of <jsp:include> does:

<jsp:include page=”urlSpec” flush="true|false">
{ <jsp:param .... /> }*

There, no other content appears to be allowed. However, other sections
of the JSP specification are less ambiguous. For instance, section 5.15
(<jsp:text>) specifically says:

No subelements may appear within jsp:text; for example the following
fragment is invalid and must generate a translation error.

The closest 5.4 comes is this:

A jsp:include action may have jsp:param subelements that can provide
values for some parameters in the request to be used for the inclusion.

Back to section 5.15, this is an interesting tidbit:

When within a JSP document, of course, the body content needs to
additionally conform to the constraints of being a well-formed XML
document, so the following example, although valid in a JSP page is
invalid in a JSP document:

The above is not qualified by anything mentioning the difference between
.jsp and .jspx files or anything like that. I would expect that any
SGML-style comments within a <jsp:text> element would, in fact, be
ignored by the JSP processor when producing output since it presupposes
XML semantics. Instead, the JSP compiler (in my 5.5.26 environment)
produces an error for this document:

<!-- This is a SGML-style comment -->

The error is:

Exception: org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /test.jsp(3,0) '&amp;lt;',
when appears in the body of &amp;lt;jsp:text&amp;gt;, must be
encapsulated within a CDATA
Stack Trace:
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /test.jsp(3,0) &apos;&amp;lt;&apos;,
when appears in the body of &amp;lt;jsp:text&amp;gt;, must be
encapsulated within a CDATA

This error seems consistent with the "no subelements" clause in S.5.15,
but I see no such restriction placed on <jsp:include>.

> It would be a bug if the error happened for a page in XML syntax however.

I think the JSP specification has a little multiple-personality disorder
when it comes to XML-looking-syntax versus actual XML syntax. It's
unfortunate, since it can really confuse people.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: