tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: SocketException: No buffer space available (in Windows)
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:37:13 GMT
Miriam Pena wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an application running in Apache Tomcat 6.0.18 server (Windows
> 2003 Service Pack 2).
> The application has both incoming HTTP connections and periodically
> connects to another application
> over TCP.
>
> After about 30 hours of runtime, I see the following problem when the
> application tries
> to open a TCP socket:
>
> java.net.SocketException: No buffer space available (maximum
> connections reached?): connect
>
> * Restarting the Tomcat server does not help (still get no buffer
> space available).
> * To resolve the problem I have to restart windows.

Going strictly by what you indicate above, and believing it word by
word, I would have to say that the problem is
- not in Tomcat (since restarting it does not help)
- in something else (since restarting Windows does help)

What is a bit more puzzling, is
* The server has only about 6-8 simultaneous UDP connections and 2-3
TCP connections.
What makes you say that ?

(But then, Java is telling you that it has *no buffer space available*,
which may be that you are running out of memory somewhere, not
necessarily out of connections)