tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Best Tomcat O.S. and Server Configuration
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:26:01 GMT

On 10/20/2009 12:15 PM, Jonathan Mast wrote:
> I've never touch SuSE or Ubuntu so can't comment on those.

Ubuntu is essentially Debian but with quicker package updates :) I would
avoid Ubuntu for production simply because it's quite desktop-oriented
(yes, they have a server version, too, so don't flame me).

> Gentoo is super high performance but could lead to your head exploding
> during setup.

Or at any point afterward. I used to be a huge Gentoo fan: everything
compiles with appropriate optimizations on your hardware, you don't get
anything you don't want, etc. In production, though, it's tough because
the answer to all security problems is "build the latest version: it's
got all the patches".

But maybe you don't want to have the latest version. Maybe you want the
version you've been using all this time because the configuration is
stable, it works with all your other stuff, and doesn't require that you
upgrade to kernel version p.d.q., udev-x.y.z, and some other long list
of dependencies. Maybe you just want the same version you've been
running with that security patch applied. Sure, you could go out and get
the diffs and just apply them yourself, but that's tedious and error-prone.

As much as I love the idea of Gentoo, the package managers simply aren't
friendly towards realistic, stable production environments.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: