tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Valves being converted to Filters?
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:11:17 GMT

On 10/20/2009 9:47 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>  Is there a specific reason for this?
> Portability, reduce internal code duplication (filters & valves have a lot in common)

Also, Tomcat has never provided standard request and response wrapper
classes for Valves to wrap those objects :(

>> Although I love filters, I find that valves have a very specific need within
>> the container as well; it allows you to configure the container
>> independently of the application.  If everything is moving to filters, that
>> would require me to modify the app everytime I want the container to behave
>> slightly differently.
> Even without valves, there are lots of other ways to customize the
> container. You can also specify Filters at the global & host level (may
> also add engine to that list).

Will there be a way to grab information from the "raw" request as seen
by a Valve today? It's nice to be able to get and set values "above" (or
below, depending on your POV) the servlet API.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: