tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5 logging-config elegant? Not so much, I think.
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2009 00:03:45 GMT
larrydlefever wrote:
a lot of things which I generally support.

It's been a while since I've ranted here about Tomcat logging
methodology, but I feel this may be the right moment to recant (on my
non-ranting I mean) and support your posting.
(And sorry to hijack a bit, I'll start a new thread if you wish so).

In my humble opinion, the way Tomcat currently (since v 5.5 or so)
implements logging, may be perfectly sane, logical, flexible,
easy-to-understand and perfect for a confirmed java webapp developer,
but it is everything but for people who just want to install and manage
Tomcat servers (and apps on them which they themselves did not write)
without needing to dig deep into Java and log4j meandres.

As a sysadmin, I feel that it is a bit mightmarish to have miscellaneous
application developers (of miscellaneous applications needing to be
installed and run on my Tomcat servers) deciding all by themselves where
their individual apps will do their logging, without giving me
(apparently) any way to restore some order into that chaos.

 From a system setup and management point of view, I feel a deep
nostalgy for Tomcat 4.x's <Logger> elements, which allowed one to catch
and redirect all this stuff to the file one wanted, at the level one wanted.
Now the mechanism behind the <Logger> may have been technically
unsatisfactory deep down, but it sure was easier to set up than the
current ones.
Why is this stuff so easy for instance with Apache httpd, and apparently
so hard with Tomcat ?

What I would like for instance, is to decide that this here Tomcat logs
all startup and errors and warnings and everything to this one single
logfile (/var/log/tomcat6/errors.log e.g.), and be done with it, no
matter what these funny guys defined and packed as classes and
properties files in their webapp war's.  That's because I am responsible
for the server's health, and I am the one that has to get up at 3:00 AM
when it doesn't work and find the problem, and I do not want to go scout
throughout the system for logfiles.
So how do I do that ?