tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2009 20:54:57 GMT
Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 06.10.2009 21:44, Joe Hansen wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems your application is CPU heavy. Either the data objects handled
>>> are to heavy weight (maybe some user having huge Fotoset or Email list)
>>> or the request rate is simply to large. Is the CPU saturated during the
>>> problems?
>>>
>>> I would activate a good access log and try to find out from that and
>>> your webapp logs what maybe special about these web requests or users.

The original post was so long ago in relative terms, that I don't
remember the details of your system.
But, just in case, you may want to also have a look at the *total*
memory usage on your system during those events.
If the load has increased (even slightly) recently, it might have
reached the point where there is sometimes no longer sufficient physical
memory available to process all simultaneous tasks, and the system is
starting to swap tasks to virtual memory (on disk).  That would cause a
dramatic slowdown in request processing, which may have something to do
with your problems.
If you are under Unix/Linux, the first lines displayed by "top" would
already provide some information in that respect.
Or else, just plug in an additional memory bar in your server, and see
if it changes anything.  They are rather cheap right now.