tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: POST request with timeout acts weird
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 12:41:17 GMT
Ronald Klop wrote:
> There is even more fun about the documentation of connectionTimeout. It
> states that it waits for the URI after accepting the connection, but in
> my example Tomcat is not waiting for the URI, but for data from the
> request. So connectionTimeout does much more than what is mentioned in
> the documentation.

You can also look at it in another way, consistent with your
observations so far :

- Tomcat does wait after the initial connection, for connectTimeout
seconds, for the URI (and, I suppose, headers) to come in.
If these things do not come in in the time set, there is an error.
This is documented.
And it helps in fighting some specific types of DOS attacks.

- but, internally and undocumented, Tomcat also uses the same
"connectTimeout" timeout value when it is subsequently asked to read the
request body (for example with getParameters()).  But since the
getParameters() method, (as per the Servlet Spec I guess) does not allow
for a timeout exception to be returned, Tomcat merely returns an empty
parameter map when this timeout occurs.

It appears that there is no way to explicitly set (individually) the
timeout for reading the request body, nor to get a specific error when
whatever timeout is being used, is exceeded.