tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: POST request with timeout acts weird
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 22:47:50 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Ronald,
>
> On 10/2/2009 9:20 AM, Ronald Klop wrote:
>> But I don't send any data. My servlet than waits in getParameterMap(),
>> because that try's to read the inputstream and parse the parameters.
>> After 20 seconds (Connector has connectionTimeout="20000") the reading
>> of the inputstream ends, but my application just gets an empty Map in
>> stead of some TimeoutException.
>
> What leads you to believe that a TimeoutException would be thrown? The
> documentation for the HTTP connector's "connectionTimeout" attribute says:
>
> "
> The number of milliseconds this Connector will wait, after accepting a
> connection, for the request URI line to be presented. The default value
> is 60000 (i.e. 60 seconds).
> "
>
> You provided the URI line within plenty of time. If you didn't enter
> anything, Tomcat would disconnect. Since you did, it doesn't.

Doesn't the fact that the read on the inputstream returns, imply that
there is actually a timeout, even if it is not returned to the webapp ?

And, to Ronald : if the request is a POST, and it has a Content-length,
and you get an empty parameter map after 20 seconds, can't you just
reject the request as invalid ?

And, curiosity : if you set the Connector timeout to 30 seconds, does
your inputstream then return after 30 seconds too ?