tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Comet and Proxy question
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 16:40:33 GMT
On 10/01/2009 09:48 AM, Sven Eisenhauer wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> I have a question regarding the Comet technology in combination with a
> HTTP proxy.
> First of all, my application is working fine so far, no problems.
> I am using Tomcat 6.0.20 on Windows XP and 6.0.18 on Ubuntu Linux,
> running a NioHttpConnector on port 8081.
> On both plattforms I have a apache httpd proxy on port 80 using
> mod_proxy_http to connect to the tomcat, fine so far.
> Tomcat uses a form-based authentication for all servlets and jsps,
> everything working.
> In one jsp a Comet request happens, which receives data from a Comet
> servlet, also working fine.
>
> Now my problem is: All this comet request go over the proxy.
> Which means, that I have 2 connections per request on the server.
>
> Is there a way to connect to the Comet servlet directly?
> I played around with making the request to
> http://serveraddress:8081/CometServlet from the normally served jsp.
> But then I have no access to the session of the jsp in the comet servlet.
>
> I hope, I could describe my problem clear enough and somebody has a hint.

You described it clear enough. There is a solution, but the solution
depends on your infrastructure (what your network and software looks like).
For example, if you have a layer 7 load balancer, you could load balance
some requests to Apache HTTP and others to Tomcat directly depending on
the URL.

Filip