tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Installing Tomcat: how much do versions matter?
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:44:21 GMT
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
> I need to install the following components on Windows XP (for ArcIMS):
> 1) Apache 2.0.43 (MSI installer for Windows, no crypto)
> 2) JSDK 1.4.1_01
> 3) Tomcat 4.1.12
> 4) mod_jk2-2.0.43.dll
>
> Problem is, Apache 2.0.43 and Tomcat 4.1.12 are just _nowhere_ to be found.
> These are what I got instead:
> 1) Apache 2.0.63  (MSI installer for Windows, no crypto)
> 2) JSDK 1.4.1_01
> 3) Tomcat 4.1.40
> 4) mod_jk2-2.0.43.dll
>
> The Tomcat 4.1.40 is the JDK 1.4 version, so I think (or hope) there should
> be no problem with that. However, the Apache is 2.0.63, while the mod_jk2
> connector is clearly named mod_jk2-2.0.43.dll. Will I be able to run
> everything smoothly, or will they just fail?
>
> What if I go with newest version of every component instead? Thus, I'll be
> using:
> 1) Apache 2.2.13
> 2) JSDK 6u16
> 3) Tomcat 6.0.20
> 4) mod_jk-1.2.28-httpd-2.2.3.so
> Are those safe choices?

Definitely.  Why would you start with versions (as you mention at the
beginning) which are at least 5 years old, and most of them not
developed and not maintained and not supported anymore ?
(Apache 2.0.63 being, I think, the only exception here).
Contrary to what the numbering may lead you to believe, mod_jk2.x is a
different product, older than mod_jk-1.2.28, and it is no longer
developed nor supported.