tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: errors after install
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 08:11:52 GMT
To agree and augment on everything Peter wrote, the whole thing stinks
of a very broken installation and configuration package, or packages.
Not for lack of desire to help, but I believe you should really go back
to the spacewalker (or CentOS) help forum, and enquire there about
working packages for your specific platform.
We have no idea what is needed by this application. It seems that you
have indeed some kind of Tomcat installed now, with some /rhn webapp
half-installed in it.  On the other hand, some other bits and pieces
needed by that /rhn webapp appear to be missing, and some standard parts
of Tomcat also (like the version.sh script).
Even the standard Tomcat 8005 shutdown port doesn't seem to be there,
which as Peter wrote is very strange.
I am starting to wonder if this CentOS spacewalker package is not
installing its own embedded Tomcat, which conflicts with another one
already installed.

Alternatively, you could try to de-install what you have installed so
far, then install *only* the latest CentOS pure-Tomcat package you can
find, and test if that one, on its own, works.
Test it by simply calling the URL http://your-hostname:8080 in your
browser. You should then get some Tomcat page, with an easily
recognisable cat on it.
Most standard Tomcat packages I have seen so far, have Tomcat configured
so that it will, by default, listen on 3 ports :
- port 8005 : that's Tomcat's "shutdown port"; you see it in the
server.xml file as an attribute to the <Server> tag.
- port 8080 : that's Tomcat's standard HTTP connector, which allows you
to use it as a standard webserver (that one, you will find in a
<Connector ... protocol="HTTP"> tag in server.xml
- port 8009 : that is Tomcat's standard listening port for the AJP
connector, another <Connector> tag in server.xml.  This one may or may
not be activated, depending on how the CentOS packagers structured their
stuff.  It may only get installed/activated if you install another
complementary package containing mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp, and this
complementary package may in turn depend on the Apache httpd package
being installed.
And so on...
Variations are endless, and depend on the whims and competence of
whoever creates these packages for each platform.