tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rainer Frey" <rainer.f...@inxmail.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat6 does not shutdown
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:16:36 GMT
On Thursday 22 October 2009 12:07:29 NabiL wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use tomcat 6 installed on Linux RedHat5. I enabled JMX as follows
> JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=10.97.242.177
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=2099
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false"

Add those options to CATALINA_OPTS, instead of JAVA_OPTS. CATALINA_OPTS is
used only for starting tomcat.

> After starting tomcat, i can successfully connect to remote process using
> Jconsole.
>
> When i tried to stop tomcat from comand line using ./shutdown.sh i got the
> following errors.
>
> Error: Exception thrown by the agent : java.rmi.server.ExportException:
> Port already in use: 2099; nested exception is:
>         java.net.BindException: Address already in use

These options cause Java to listen on port 2099. If tomcat is running, it
listens on this port. The Java program that shuts down tomcat wants also to
listen on this port, but it is already in use. Of course it is not necessary
for this short-living program to open an RMI server, above solution avoids
this.

> Any help !!
>
> Thanks in adavance.
> Nabil