tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Thomas" <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Valves being converted to Filters?
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 01:47:47 GMT

Sort off. Ideally everywhere but I suspect some valves will remain.

>  Is there a specific reason for this?
Portability, reduce internal code duplication (filters & valves have a lot in common)

> Although I love filters, I find that valves have a very specific need within
> the container as well; it allows you to configure the container
> independently of the application.  If everything is moving to filters, that
> would require me to modify the app everytime I want the container to behave
> slightly differently.
Even without valves, there are lots of other ways to customize the container. You can also
specify Filters at the global & host level (may also add engine to that list).

Mark